Code of Conduct
CODE OF CONDUCT
- I am over 18 years of age.
- I have undertaken independent research and understand the risks involved with traveling to the destinations for the purposes of all activities. This includes being aware of and following the CDC’s recommendations for travel to the country(ies) I will be serving in. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel
- I am sufficiently equipped with the requisite resources, credentials, materials, medications, and insurance before embarking upon this venture. Medical Travel insurance is required for deployment and proof of such insurance will be sent to the Global Midwife Response Volunteer Coordinator before departure. We recommend UHC Safe Trip but there are many out there: uhcsafetrip.com
- I authorize Global Midwife Response to use and share photographs, quotes, and blog posts taken or written while deployed for MP, and my name and likeness for use in GMR's print, online, and videoUbased marketing materials, as well as other NGO publications.
- I hereby release and hold harmless GMR from any reasonable expectation of privacy or confidentiality associated with the images specified above, unless specified here:
- I further acknowledge that my participation is voluntary and that I will not receive financial compensation of any type associated with the taking or publication of these photographs or participation in company marketing materials or other company publications. I acknowledge and agree that publication of said photos confers no rights of ownership or royalties whatsoever.
- I hereby release GMR, its volunteers, its employees, and any third parties involved in the creation or publication of marketing materials from liability for any claims by me or any third party in connection with my participation.
- I do not nor will not hold Global Midwife Response Incorporated or anyone acting under the instructions of Global Midwife Response Incorporated for any financial loss or personal injury sustained within the course of this venture. (Global Midwife Response Inc. does not provide any indemnity insurance or legal expense coverage).
- I nor my representatives will not hold Global Midwife Response Incorporated responsible or anyone acting under the instructions of Global Midwife Response Incorporated responsible in the unfortunate event of death occurring to the volunteer during or after my deployment.
CODE OF CONDUCT
- Global Midwife Response volunteers will uphold sustainability as a primary focus in each deployment. Where possible, our role is not only to provide midwifery care but to assist, teach, and empower communities and local health workers towards long-term rebuilding. As helpers in crisis, we step in only as needed; our primary goal is to teach lifesaving midwifery skills to those who will be there long after we leave.
- Global Midwife Response volunteers will model respect and kindness, without any expectation to change the culture we are working in. In educating providers toward these standards, we may cite international guidelines that promote safe, respectful childbirth as a human right, while modeling behavior and practices that respect women and their culture.
- Volunteers will take a partnership role, not a directorial role, and look to empower the women we care for, as well as their providers. Our work is a conversational relationship that values understanding what people are doing and why, rather than simply assuming our own way of doing something is better.
- Volunteers are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of all proprietary or privileged information to which they are exposed while serving as a volunteer, including personal health information, whether this information involves a single staff, volunteer, client, or other person or involves overall agency business.
- Volunteers are not permitted to proselytize or seek to influence the religious beliefs of those we serve, whether directly or indirectly. Discussion of one’s own religion or personal beliefs should be avoided.
- Volunteers are prohibited from having sexual relationships with beneficiaries or colleagues at volunteer sites, as these relationships are often based on unequal power dynamics, can impair judgment and attention, and may undermine the credibility and integrity of our humanitarian work. Sexual activity with a person under age 18 is prohibited regardless of the local age of consent.
- Volunteers are not permitted to accept gifts or other side benefits, which may impact their judgment or preference. Gifts or meals are permissible only if they are nominal in value and are given and accepted without any express or implied understanding of obligation or preference by your acceptance of the gift. Gifts of cash are prohibited and must be returned.
Donations made by check should be made payable to "Global Midwife Response" and sent to:
600 Elm Street, Montpelier, VT 05602
All donations are 100% tax-deductible as provided by law of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.